Staff travel funding
Funding is available from the Melbourne Conservatorium of Music Research Committee to assist staff present papers at national and international conferences and possibly attend premieres of new compositions. Funding is linked to research outcomes that align with ERA outputs and the Conservatorium definitions of research activity. (The committee acknowledges that articles submitted to ERA ranked journals may not necessarily be successful but it must be demonstrated that an attempt will be made and a targeted journal named.)
Further information: ERA outputs (http://www.arc.gov.au/pdf/ERA2010_sub_guide.pdf).
Funding applications will be considered from
- Melbourne Conservatorium of Music FFT and FTTE staff whose employment contract specifies that they must undertake research
- Honorary Research Fellows
Normally only one application will be funded annually.
Academic Staff on SSP (Long) funded by the Faculty or by the University at the time of the proposed travel are not eligible for research assistance funding from the Melbourne Conservatorium of Music.
Costs covered by the grant
Grants of up to $3000 will be awarded. Grants are intended to assist with the costs of participation in the ERA-outcome activity, such as the costs of conference registration, travel and accommodation directly related to the conference or other research-related event.
Applications for funding must be made in the form of a letter to the Chair of the Research Committee, Associate Professor Kerry Murphy email@example.com, and must normally be made in advance of the conference or event to allow time for processing and approval.
Applications are accepted at any time during the year and must include:
- Name of the conference or other research activity and the academic standing of the event.
- Abstract or other description of the paper or creative work for presentation at the conference or other Research Activity.
- Verification of the acceptance by the organisers of your paper or creative work, or the current status of this acceptance (attach evidence).
- Inclusive dates for the conference/event, and the inclusive dates you plan to be absent from the University (travel approval must be applied for via the Travel Portal as above)
- A description of the output from your presentation and the anticipated ERA recognition this will receive (see: http://www.research.unimelb.edu.au/)
- Details of costs as follows (all in AUD$):
- Registration fee
- Travel Costs:
- State the currency conversion factor used (where applicable).
- With cost of registration for the conference or event, give both the ‘early bird’ fee and closing date (if any), and the full fee.
- Attach supporting documents for travel, registration and accommodation costs
- You are also required to state
- when you last received funding and how much
- research outputs generated by any previously funded travel
- whether you are being paid at all for your contribution
Normally, all bookings for travel must comply with the University of Melbourne policy that requires the use of an official supplier inclusive of travel insurance and applicable taxes (http://www.unimelb.edu.au/ppp/docs/14.html#14.1.6)
All applicants must complete a Travel Approval via the University Travel Portal and provide a print out of the submission either with the application (in the case of reimbursement) or within a week of hearing that the application was successful.
- all approved funds must be expended and/or claimed as reimbursement within the calendar year of the grant. All costs related to an approved grant for a conference or event paid by the staff member can be claimed as a reimbursement up to the limits approved (supporting receipts must be provided).
- a travel diary must be completed if the grant involves international travel or domestic travel over 5 days
Approval may be conditional on the applicant submitting additional information. In such cases applicants should not commit to any expenditure until such information is received and written approval for the grant received.
Recipients of research assistance funding are required to report on their trip on their return at the Staff and Graduate Student seminar.
Allocation of funding
Should applicants be unable to attend the approved conference or creative activity, they must notify the Chair of the Research Committee and the MCM Finance Office.
Advice for applicants: using the Travel Portal (www.unimelb.edu.au/travel)
The HR18 forms are no longer in use. PS 5671 for domestic travel or replace this with 5673 for international. All staff are now directed to use the Travel Portal for travel approval.
In general, the Portal, like Themis, requires that you deactivate your pop-up blocker on your browser. If you are unsure how to do this, please contact your local IT support team.
The travel fund is to be distributed to successful applicants as a reimbursement to your School or to your own personal account. The Travel Portal requires you to enter a stream code in the finance section of your submission. We advise the following:
- 1. The Travel Portal needs a Themis string, which is 01-742-00-5671 -01. This should be used whether it's paid for via the Portal or by reimbursement.
- If you are having problems using the Portal, please contact the Portal administration team on 8344 9285 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org